Previous war powers resolutions have failed under Trump
US amassing military assets near Iran
WASHINGTON, Feb 20 (Reuters) - The U.S. Congress could vote as soon as next week on whether to block President Donald Trump’s ability to strike Iran without lawmakers’ approval, as the U.S. military prepares for a potential serious conflict with Iran if diplomatic efforts fail.
Members of Congress, including a few of Trump’s fellow Republicans as well as Democrats, have tried - and failed - repeatedly to pass resolutions that would bar Trump from military action against foreign governments without lawmakers’ approval.
The Reuters Inside Track newsletter is your essential guide to the biggest events in global sport. Sign up here.
The U.S. Constitution grants Congress, not the president, the power to send U.S. troops to war, except for limited strikes for national security reasons. Reuters reported last week that the military is preparing for the possibility of sustained, weeks-long operations if Trump orders an attack.
Trump’s Republicans hold slim majorities in both the Senate and House and have blocked the resolutions, arguing that Congress should not restrict Trump’s national security powers.
Democratic Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia and Republican Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky filed a Senate resolution late last month to block hostilities against Iran unless explicitly authorized by a congressional declaration of war.
“If some of my colleagues support war, then they should have the guts to vote for the war, and to be held accountable by their constituents, rather than hiding under their desks,” Kaine said in a statement on Friday, as U.S. military assets moved toward Iran.
An aide to Kaine said on Friday there was no timetable yet as to when the Senate might take up the resolution.
In the House of Representatives, Republican Thomas Massie of Kentucky and Democrat Ro Khanna of California said they planned to force a vote on a similar resolution next week.
“Trump officials say there’s a 90% chance of strikes on Iran. He can’t without Congress,” Khanna said in a post on X.com.
Reporting by Patricia Zengerle; editing by Diane Craft
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab
Suggested Topics:
United States
Public Policy
Share
X
Facebook
Linkedin
Email
Link
Purchase Licensing Rights
Patricia Zengerle
Thomson Reuters
Patricia Zengerle has reported from more than 20 countries, including Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and China. An award-winning Washington-based national security and foreign policy reporter who also has worked as an editor, Patricia has appeared on NPR, C-Span and other programs, spoken at the National Press Club and attended the Hoover Institution Media Roundtable. She is a recipient of the Edwin M. Hood Award for Diplomatic Correspondence.
Email
X
This page may contain third-party content, which is provided for information purposes only (not representations/warranties) and should not be considered as an endorsement of its views by Gate, nor as financial or professional advice. See Disclaimer for details.
US lawmakers plan Iran war powers vote as Trump weighs strikes
Summary
US House could vote as soon as next week
Previous war powers resolutions have failed under Trump
US amassing military assets near Iran
WASHINGTON, Feb 20 (Reuters) - The U.S. Congress could vote as soon as next week on whether to block President Donald Trump’s ability to strike Iran without lawmakers’ approval, as the U.S. military prepares for a potential serious conflict with Iran if diplomatic efforts fail.
Members of Congress, including a few of Trump’s fellow Republicans as well as Democrats, have tried - and failed - repeatedly to pass resolutions that would bar Trump from military action against foreign governments without lawmakers’ approval.
The Reuters Inside Track newsletter is your essential guide to the biggest events in global sport. Sign up here.
The U.S. Constitution grants Congress, not the president, the power to send U.S. troops to war, except for limited strikes for national security reasons. Reuters reported last week that the military is preparing for the possibility of sustained, weeks-long operations if Trump orders an attack.
Trump’s Republicans hold slim majorities in both the Senate and House and have blocked the resolutions, arguing that Congress should not restrict Trump’s national security powers.
Democratic Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia and Republican Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky filed a Senate resolution late last month to block hostilities against Iran unless explicitly authorized by a congressional declaration of war.
“If some of my colleagues support war, then they should have the guts to vote for the war, and to be held accountable by their constituents, rather than hiding under their desks,” Kaine said in a statement on Friday, as U.S. military assets moved toward Iran.
An aide to Kaine said on Friday there was no timetable yet as to when the Senate might take up the resolution.
In the House of Representatives, Republican Thomas Massie of Kentucky and Democrat Ro Khanna of California said they planned to force a vote on a similar resolution next week.
“Trump officials say there’s a 90% chance of strikes on Iran. He can’t without Congress,” Khanna said in a post on X.com.
Reporting by Patricia Zengerle; editing by Diane Craft
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab
Share
X
Facebook
Linkedin
Email
Link
Purchase Licensing Rights
Patricia Zengerle
Thomson Reuters
Patricia Zengerle has reported from more than 20 countries, including Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and China. An award-winning Washington-based national security and foreign policy reporter who also has worked as an editor, Patricia has appeared on NPR, C-Span and other programs, spoken at the National Press Club and attended the Hoover Institution Media Roundtable. She is a recipient of the Edwin M. Hood Award for Diplomatic Correspondence.
Email
X